Following the ongoing Russian invasion of Ukraine, the UK Government has launched the Homes for Ukraine scheme inviting people to help, by offering a room in their homes to refugees.

More than 4.2 million refugees have left Ukraine, with another estimated 6.5 million people thought to be displaced inside the war-torn country. The UN is working alongside several organisations to provide humanitarian assistance including; giving cash to people for basics like food and rent, delivering supplies and setting up reception and transit points for internally displaced people.

But what can you do from here in the UK?

If you have a spare room in your home you can become a ‘sponsor’ as part of the Homes for Ukraine scheme. You can offer a rent-free space and provide the name of the Ukrainian person you wish the sponsor or an immediate family member. If you do not have a specific person to sponsor there are charities, faith groups and local community groups that are facilitating connections between individuals.

Obviously, there will be costs associated with providing a room to refugees, the government is offering sponsors an optional ‘thank you’ payment of £350 per month for up to one year. This monthly payment is limited to one per residential address, even if you host more than one person. During this time, as a sponsor, you will not be expected to cover the costs of food and living expenses but of course, you can choose to share meals with your new residents.

Before becoming a sponsor you must be able to provide a spare room within your home or separate self-contained accommodation. Upon registration, you will be asked how many adults, or adults with children you can host. You will also be asked about available rooms such as if they are suitable for single or double occupancy and whether they will have access to shared or private facilities. The length of this sponsorship can be for 6-9 months, 10-12 months or longer than a year.

Once you have registered as a sponsor, security checks will be carried out on all adults that currently live in your household. Your local council will also check that your accommodation is appropriate.

If you would like to become a sponsor you can find all of the relevant information and links to record your interest at Homes for Ukraine.

What other ways can you do to help?

There are several ways in which you can make a difference by donating your time, money or supplies via a variety of different charities and organisations.

Save the Children

The British Red Cross


Sunflower for Peace

Voices of Children

Agents Giving

We hope we have inspired you to open your hearts and perhaps your homes to the people of Ukraine.

If you have any questions about hosting from your rental property please contact our Lettings team on 01633 870777.